Purchase this for the person who wants to hold and work on something real and functional, or for the calming effect of a soothing repetitive action
Although people with cognitive challenges may need specialised products, for some being asked to look at something that doesn't appear to have a purpose may seem demeaning. This leads them to not want to interact, and withdraw from activities. They can relate more to something that appears authentic and adult, wood or metal for example.
This nuts and bolts activity is for the person who has worked with their hands in the past, especially with anything mechanical, farming, woodwork or the home handyman. The repetitive twirling of the nuts can have a calming effect. As this has been handmade with macrocarpa wood it has a lovely woody feel and smell.
- This has been designed as a dementia/cognitive challenge activity
- The challenge is to match each nut to the corresponding bolt and tighten.
- This activity provides cognitive stimulation, using hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and problem solving.
- The feel of the wood and metal may help with recall, the smell of the wood is also a sensory stimulation.
- The matching and/or tightening of the nuts gives a feeling of accomplishment on completion, which can be extended with nut removal.
- Another good way to introduce this activity is to ask the person if they could remove the nuts for you.
- The repetitive nature of twirling the screw down is good for adults who are low functioning.
- Higher functioning people can enjoy this activity too, set a stopwatch, or have a race to put on the nuts.
- The number of nuts used and whether they start the activity with nuts already matched can be decided based on the ability of the user.
- This is easily portable and can be used at home or during outings to avoid restlessness or inactivity.
- Vegetable oil can be applied to the wood should it become dry, which could be used as another good sensory activity.
- Be aware asking someone to engage in an activity, without ensuring they are comfortable, can leave a person with dementia feeling overwhelmed with the responsibility. Always ensure the activity is being enjoyed and the receiver knows they only need to do as much as they feel able to
We would recommend the nuts be stored on the bolts when not in use, to avoid their inexplicable disappearance. Purchase replacement nuts
Always supervise anyone likely to put small objects in their mouth as these nuts could be a choking hazard.
Good for people living with memory loss or dementia, such as Alzheimers. Also for people with a brain injury.
Contact us with any questions
or for help with ordering: 09 600 3251
ReviewsRaiba, Summerset, LevinWe had one lady who would sit and twirl the nuts up and down, she found this to be calming and it helped control her anxiety.
Leave a Review
Warranty30 day money back guarantee. Products are in stock in NZ and we aim to courier products on the next business day. Contact us with any questions or comments.